Date:      Sat, 05 Aug 2006 00:35:12 +0100
From:      Chris Whitehouse <chris@childeric.freeserve.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Asus a8n-vm csm/nbp motherboard broken acpi workaround

Hi all

A bit of googling suggested that the a8n-vm csm (without the nbp suffix)
was an ok board, supported with FreeBSD after an acpi repair by Adriaan
de Groot
(http://people.fruitsalad.org/adridg/development.freebsd.php#a8nvm ),
and on special in a local shop so I bought one. It turned out to be a
variant called a8n-vm csm/nbp which also had a broken acpi and a
slightly different bios so the repaired dsdt file from Adriaan didn't work.

Here's what I got on boot:

ACPI-0397: *** Error: NsSearchAndEnter:
   Bad character in ACPI Name: 43045350
ACPI-0381: *** Error: Looking up [0x43045350]
   (NON-ASCII) in namespace, AE_BAD_CHARACTER

Anyway I made my own dsdt file with his instructions and now it works.
Just in case anyone was thinking of getting one of these boards, Adriaan
has agreed to put my dsdt file on his site (I don't have web space) in
the next week or so. If anyone wants a copy in the meantime let me know
and I'll send it to you.

FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE #0: Sun Jul 23 01:22:40 BST 2006

Chris