Date:      Fri, 13 Jun 2008 09:00:03 -0500
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stripe sizes with gstripe

--nextPart9009478.pBsXDSiXXg

On Thursday 12 June 2008, David Kelly wrote:

> Apparently it won't read anything larger than your stripe size which
> defaults to a miserable 4k.

Ugh.  It seems like there are a few possibilities here, and I'm not sure=20
which is actually true.

Say you have two drives, striped.

1) Ideally, you could have a 512 byte stripe size.  A program tries to read=
=20
4KB.  Then, gstripe would issue a single request to each drive to read 4=20
blocks and interleaves the results.

2) Less ideally, you'd have a 128KB stripe size.  A program requests a=20
single block, but gstripe reads the entire stripe to fulfill the request. =
=20
Not so hot for random access.

3) Worst, maybe?  You have a 512 byte stripe.  A program reads 4KB.  gstrip=
e=20
reads 512B from da0, then 512B from da1, then 512B from da0, etc.

Actually, I guess you could also have a combination of #2 and #3, where=20
small reads fetch an entire stripe while large reads are broken into lots=20
of tiny ones.

So, back to gstripe.  Which of those is it most like?

> If there is a tuning knob that I have missed, would appreciate being
> told what.

Pass it along, would ya?  :-)

Oh, and don't forget to make your partition offsets
=2D-=20
Kirk Strauser