Date:      Sat, 22 Aug 1998 11:50:51 -0600
From:      Allen Campbell <allenc@verinet.com>
To:        "G.R. Gaudreau" <grgaud@pop3.sprint.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD main platform & Linux

G.R. Gaudreau wrote:

> At 09:59 PM 8/21/98 -0600, you wrote:
> >kevink@mindless.com wrote:
> >>
> >> Who uses FreeBSD as their primary computing platform at home?
> >
> >I maintain one main server running FreeBSD and several older pentiums as
> >X terminals running a mix of FreeBSD and Linux, all on a small Ethernet
> >network.  One of the X terminals boots into Windows for MS Word.  I can
> >not remember the last time I did that.  Hmmm.
>
> How well does the Linux platform work?

I have been running OpenLinux 1.2 on a 150 MHz Overdrive Pentium
primarily
as an X terminal.  Linux has come a long way; I miss the uniformity of
the
FreeBSD ports and man pages, but it seems quite solid.  I have been
experimenting with Netware for Linux on this system.  Also, I might have
to promote this box to a Linux server when Oracle for Linux makes its
debut, unless FreeBSD's Linux emulation handles it well.  I would much
prefer to put this on the FreeBSD server, but it's too important to
compromise if it doesn't; One way or another I'm going to make a living
with that software.

--
  Allen Campbell       |  Lurking at the bottom of the
  allenc@verinet.com   |   gravity well, getting old.