Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 2004 20:04:57 -0500
From:      "Matt Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Mark Linimon" <linimon@lonesome.com>, "Colin Percival" <colin.percival@wadham.ox.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where is FreeBSD going?

> At 20:31 06/01/2004, Mark Linimon wrote:
> >There are hundreds of PRs still to be processed that do have
> >patches -- in fact, on most days the backlog is getting bigger,
> >not smaller.
>
>    Speaking of which... if there's one thing which could be done
> to improve committer / non-committer relations, it would be to
> *do* something with all those PRs.
>    The ports team is pretty good -- my maintainer updates have
> always been committed fairly quickly -- but I've never had a
> src patch committed without badgering committer(s) about my PRs.
>
>    Don't misunderstand me; I think the project is heading in the
> right direction, and committers are doing a great job.  But I
> think the contributions of non-committers could make FreeBSD
> even better, and those contributions are being largely lost or
> ignored.

Exactly.  I've filed PRs that have languished for months, and then after
picking some random person from -current or -stable, the patches in the PR
get committed within a week.  I'd imagine that there's a lot of PRs that get
dropped because they sit for 6+ months and then the submitter can't be found
or cannot reproduce the situation.

I think the problem is that too many commiters are focused on their own
corner of the project, and there's nobody left to handle all the "general"
sort of PRs.

--
Matt Emmerton