Date:      Sat, 5 Aug 2006 11:43:06 +1000
From:      "Gary Newcombe" <gary@pattersonsoftware.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   portsnap oddities

Hello all,

I'm getting the following error when I use portsnap lately on one of my
servers:

[mesh:/home/gary]# portsnap fetch
Looking up portsnap.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 2 mirrors found.
Fetching snapshot tag from portsnap2.FreeBSD.org... done.
Fetching snapshot metadata... done.
Updating from Thu  3 Aug 2006 04:45:32 EST to Sat  5 Aug 2006 11:06:54 EST.
Fetching 0 metadata patches. done.
Applying metadata patches... done.
Fetching 0 metadata files... done.
Fetching 2 patches.. done.
Applying patches... done.
Fetching 2 new ports or files...
gunzip: stdin: not in gzip format
snapshot is corrupt.

I have now removed /var/db/portsnap and started from scratch 3 times. This
fixes the problem, but a few days later, I get the same story. I haven't had
any problems on any of the other servers (although they have older kernels),
so I'm guessing this could be a problem with portsnap from this kernel build
or it's related to something else.

FreeBSD mesh.lhshoses.com.au 6.1-STABLE FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE #0: Fri Jul 28
13:29:26 EST 2006     root@:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MESH  i386

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks
Gary