Date:      Wed, 31 May 1995 10:54:17 +1000 (EST)
From:      David Dawes <dawes@physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        jmb@kryten.atinc.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG

>On Wed, 31 May 1995, David Dawes wrote:
>
>> I've noticed for a while now that the mail I receive from hackers comes
>> via munnari.oz.au rather than directly from freefall.  When I looked
>> into this, I found that mail I sent to myself from freefall (both to
>> here and to a few other domains in .au) also came via munnari.  I'd
>> assumed that this was setup to allow all mailing list traffic to
>> .au to go from one connection from freefall.  Was this intentional?  Do
>> others in .au see this?  We certainly don't have an MX pointing to that
>> site.  The down side of this from my point of view is that
>> munnari.oz.au often has a long mail queue, and it isn't unusual for the
>
>strange the mail logs on freefall show:
>
>May 25 05:48:13 freefall sendmail[22630]: FAA22624: to=David Dawes
><dawes@physics.usyd.edu.au>, delay=00:32:12, mailer=smtp,
>relay=physics.su.oz.au. [129.78.129.1], stat=Sent (Ok)
>May 25 17:40:36 freefall sendmail[24835]: RAA24788:
>from=<dawes@physics.usyd.edu.au>, size=627, class=0, pri=30627, nrcpts=1,
>msgid=<199505260039.AA16549@physics.su.oz.au>, proto=SMTP,
>relay=dawes@physics.su.OZ.AU [129.78.129.1]

It looks like it is back to delivering directly.  I must admit that I
haven't checked this for a little while, but there was a long period
where the mail was not coming directly.  I've just looked back though
some of the mail I've kept from this list, and it looks like it stopped
using the indirect route after 8 April.  It had been using the indirect
route for at least a few months prior to that.

David