Date:      Thu, 2 Nov 2000 20:24:50 -0700 (MST)
From:      dhassler@webdat.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SoundBlaster 128/ ES1370 on 4.1.1

Hello all,

I'm new to the BSD world, coming over from the Linux world.
Everything has worked great, except for getting my sound card
to work (SoundBlaster 128 / Ensoniq ES1370 chipset).

I used the directions I found on defcon1.org.

I compiled a new kernel, with the line 'device pcm0' added.
I've got a dual-processor machine, and have tried both SMP
and non-SMP kernels, FWIW.

The card seems to be detected fine on startup:

speedy#	dmesg | grep pcm
pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1370> port 0xb800-0xb83f irq 14 at device 9.0 on pci0

I created the device entries with 'MAKEDEV snd1'.

However, whenever I try any programs that deal with sound, I get
'device not configured' errors.

i.e.:

speedy#	mixer pcm 100 vol 100 cd 100
mixer: /dev/mixer: Device not configured

Here's the system info:

FreeBSD speedy.davelan 4.1.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.1.1-RELEASE #0: Thu Nov  2 19:56:02 MST 2000     root@speedy.davelan:/usr/src/sys/compile/MYKERNEL  i386

Any ideas?

Thanks,