Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 2000 21:00:21 -0500
From:      Chris Browning <brownicm@prokyon.com>
To:        Jaroshenko Serge <jaroshenko@mail.ru>
Cc:        James Wilde <james.wilde@telia.com>, FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPFW vs IP-Filter

Jaroshenko Serge wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, James Wilde wrote:
>
> > I've checked the handbook and other sources on IPFW and IP-Filter and I
> > would appreciate some comments on the two.
> >
> > I assume that one uses either/or and not both.  IPFW is compiled into the
> > kernel but IP-Filter runs as an application.
>
> ipfilter is compiled into kernel -  see LINT :
>
> options         IPFIREWALL              #firewall
> options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE      #print information about
>                                         # dropped packets
> options         IPFIREWALL_FORWARD      #enable transparent proxy support
> options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=100    #limit verbosity
> options         IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT
> options         IPDIVERT                #divert sockets
> options         IPFILTER                #ipfilter support
> options         IPFILTER_LOG            #ipfilter logging
> options         IPSTEALTH               #support for stealth forwarding

I picked up an extra low-end box and was just about to begin
playing with ipf. I've been using ipfw for about 9 months
and have been happy, but, you know...

If I'm not mistaken, I interpret this post as saying that I
need the ipfw kernel options to run ipf. I had assumed that
only the ipf options were necessary. What's up here? I'm
glad I ran across this.