Date:      Wed, 05 May 1999 14:18:56 -0700
From:      Tom Brown <tomb_lists@heliox.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ease of use...

Yet again i here the rumblings of potential contribution's to the kernel
and the serious technical side of the OS.
This mornings comments about contributions are not unusual in my
experience.  I would say two things on the subject.

You can contribute very effectively without being that technical, the
'ease of use' problems for example are a lot more evident to new users
than to the hard-core users. Despite what some may say I think this is a
very important area of development, just look at Yahoo's comments if you
want an example.

But it's not that easy to get anyone to listen.

I for example, have got a GENERIC kernel config file to contribute to
the project.  It's only attribute is that each of the drivers has a
comment next to it stating what it is and comments like !!DO NOT REMOVE
for those options that can land you in trouble.  Having built a fair
number of FreeBSD boxes I know that these comments have saved me a huge
amount of time and I like to share that.

So if anyone can point me in the right direction I will post them the
file.

Tom