Date:      Thu, 17 Mar 2005 06:47:49 -0800
From:      "Michael C. Shultz" <ringworm01@gmail.com>
To:        Soo-Hyun Choi <shchoi@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How much HDD space does FreeBSD need?

On Thursday 17 March 2005 05:58 am, Soo-Hyun Choi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering how much HDD space does FreeBSD need in a normal
> installation. What I mean by the normal installation includes 'Full
> X-Development' packages with Gnome. Oh, It's 5.3-RELEASE.
>
> My HDD has 10G space for FreeBSD and I installed onto that space. The
> FreeBSD installation was of no problem. However, once I tried to
> upgrade Gnome 2.8 to 2.10, I've faced up a warning message at some
> point that I am running out of HDD space. (I just executed the
> recommend upgrade shell script from http://www.FreeBSD.org/gonme/)
>
> Is 10G HDD space is not good enough?
>
> Soo-Hyun

The work areas are probably whats killing you. I don't know how you can
manage them with the  upgrade shell script, you will have to look
through the script to determine that.  Somehow or another you need to
make sure after each port is updated its work area is being cleaned
before moving on to the next port.

One thing you may want to consider is setting WRKDIRPREFIX=/tmp
in /etc/make.conf this way you can monitor the size of /tmp with du and
then maybe manually delete the work areas of ports you are certain have
been updated.

-Mike