Date:      Mon, 31 Jul 2006 10:39:01 +1000
From:      "Murray Taylor" <MTaylor@bytecraft.com.au>
To:        "Carlos A. Carnero Delgado" <carloscarnero@gmail.com>, "Martin McCormick" <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: How to Change the Time Zone Rules?

Here is the process we used for the Commonwealth Games (when the=20
end of Daylight saving was stretched for this year..) This does all
timezone files even though this procedure below only talks about
Australia.

NB The file name is now dated... user the appropriate current tzdata
file !!!

procedure ----------------8<----------------------------------
- save the file (tzdata2005r.tar.gz) into /usr/src/share/zoneinfo then
as root

# cd /usr/src/share/zoneinfo
# tar zxf tzdata2005r.tar.gz
# make
# make install
# cp /usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Melbourne /etc/localtime
# chmod 600 /etc/localtime

Elapsed time - about as fast as you type the commands.=20

This will update _all_ Australian timezone files (and apply various
other=20
international updates also) on that host. repeat as necessary on other
hosts.

!*!*!*!
a sanity check=20

# zdump -v /usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Melbourne | grep 2006

before and after the procedure.
Before- the results will show Daylight saving ending in March=20
After - the results will show it ending correctly on the 1st Sunday in
April.

Similar tests can be run for Adelaide, Sydney etc.=20
Also a test with Brisbane returns nothing as they don't=20
use DST rules. Neither does Lindeman but Lord_Howe does .... sigh=20

end procedure ----------------8<----------------------------------

NB you may need to update this file also _before_ doing the above ...=20
(Im not sure, but our net weenie said it was necessary)

/usr/share/misc/iso3166

Murray Taylor

Special Projects Engineer
Bytecraft Systems
takes a
touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite
direction."
--Albert Einstein=20

The information transmitted in this e-mail is for the exclusive
use of the intended addressee and may contain confidential
and/or privileged material. Any review, re-transmission,
dissemination or other use of it, or the taking of any action
in reliance upon this information by persons and/or entities
other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
received this in error, please inform the sender and/or
addressee immediately and delete the material.=20

E-mails may not be secure, may contain computer viruses and
may be corrupted in transmission. Please carefully check this
e-mail (and any attachment) accordingly. No warranties are
given and no liability is accepted for any loss or damage
caused by such matters.

***This Email has been scanned for Viruses by MailMarshal.***