Date:      Sat, 31 Jul 2004 11:44:08 -0400
From:      "JJB" <Barbish3@adelphia.net>
To:        "Bill Moran" <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        jonc@chen.org.nz
Subject:   RE: safe mode for kernel.old

You used the upgrade in place from source so the old kernel release
version was left over by error. Try doing an separate stand alone
kernel recompile and the kernel.old is not created.  This problem is
more visible for people who install 5.x from scratch.

Or maybe this is a difference between using the new buildkernal
process over the older kernel compile process.

All I know for sure is I installed 5.2.1 from miniistall.iso install
CD and used the older kernel compile process to build a custom
kernel and the kernel.old module was not created and the
kernel.generic module was never there.

So what I am saying is you may be trying to run the kernel.old
module from 5.1 and not the one you think you built from 5.2.1.