Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 1996 14:41:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Brann <jbrann@panix.com>
To:        jjal@remus.rutgers.edu (Joshua Lambert)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org (freeq)
Subject:   Re: MSDOS file systems.s

Joshua Lambert wrote...
> How would I go about mounting a  msdos filesystem on HD 0 Partition 1.on-a
> I have figured out how to mount a floppy but what is he device name for theave
> HD?  BTW, how can I use the handbook? It's on my HD...
> I can't access it.  It says permission denied.  And I'm using root.'
> thanks./

'mount -t msdos /dev/wd0s1 /dos'

Make sure there _is_ a directory /dos.

The special device - wd0s1 is made up of the following parts:

wd - IDE / EIDE (from Western Digital, I guess)
0  - first disk (second is 1, and so on)
s1 - Slice 1 - first partition.

Your kernel must have MSDOS filesystem support (GENERIC does).

If you want the partition maounted automatically, at boot, add the following
to '/etc/fstab'

/dev/wd0s1              /dos        msdos  rw 0 0

This sets the filesystem read-write.  BE CAREFUL - there are many cases
where FreeBSD writing to the DOS partition has caused corruption.  I
haven't suffered, myself, but...

John

--
Beavis and Butt-Head;  Vladimir and Estragon for the '90s.

finger jbrann@panix.com for pgp public key