Date:      Mon, 13 Apr 1998 20:17:58 +0200
From:      neal.tillery@cp.novartis.com
To:        sue@welearn.com.au
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: POP vs. Sendmail

>> Sue wrote <<
> When you say the book, do you mean the second edition of The Complete
> FreeBSD? I set up sendmail from that book and it was really easy,
> hardly
> anything needed to be done to get sendmail itself working. It's the
> networking that it relies on that's the brain buster.

Yes, _The Complete FreeBSD_.  THE book, bible, etc..  Ninety percent of
my knowledge on FreeBSD comes from that book.

> But it sounds like you've got a POP account and need to get mail from
> there?
> I think the only way to get POP mail is with POP. That's also covered,
> and
> recent versions of my MUA (mutt) are supposed to do POP as well but I
> haven't tried it.

Your are correct, so I need to use POP.  BTW when you installed Mutt,
did it install a Muttrc file in /usr/local/etc (I think that is where it
is supposed to be)?  I couldn't find it, and I don't think it installed
the HTML docs either.

What really spooked me was the domain masquerading stuff.  My network at
home will have its own (unregistered) domain, but my email account uses
the domain of my ISP (obviously).  I didn't know if that would screw
things up.  Another problem was how does POP know which user account
mail goes to?  Does it deliver it to which ever user ran the POP
program?  I guess I need to read the man pages on the POP program first.
I've just thought this would be a no brainer coming from the MS world.
Maybe it is, *shrug*.

With power comes complexity.
	-- (Forgot who said this)

--Neal Tillery