Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 1996 00:32:53 +0000
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@munich.netsurf.de>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ISDN Recommendations Requested...

"Marc G. Fournier" writes:
>	What about ISDN cards?  My understanding is that the TA220
>runs about $700CDN...I've been aatching talk about the BISDN support
>in FreeBSD...how stable is it?  Connection uptime, kernel stability,
>etc?

I've been using it for months here in Munich and can attest that it is
quite stable with DSS-1 (aka EuroISDN) and the most common passive ISDN
cards in use here in Germany. However, it's not at all clear how well
it will work outside of Europe. It's pretty much tailored for the
european ISDN specs. Since I don't know where ki.net is I can't comment
intelligently on any problems you might encounter. Oh , looks like
you're in Canada. I have no idea which ISDN spec Canada uses.

You'd have to write a driver, of course, if you want to use the
TA220.

>	I presume that since the card is straight on the machine
>bus, that throughput would be better?  I've always shied away from
>internal modems, mainly because an external one you can turn off and
>on if it hangs...an internal one you have to reboot the machne...what
>about ISDN cards vs modems?

You can easily get the full bandwidth. even with a passive card the
interrupt load is low (mainly because the chipset used on the low-cost
cards has a 64 byte buffer and it only interrupts the CPU every 32
bytes). Note that BISDN does not support channel bundling, yet. There's
also no PPP, just raw HDLC. There's work-in-progress on adding synchronous
PPP. Don't ask when it will be finished.

I haven't seen any hangs in a long time. We seem to have finally squashed
most of the nastiest bugs.

---
Gary Jennejohn
Home - Gary.Jennejohn@munich.netsurf.de