Date:      Sat, 5 Aug 2006 18:05:34 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Svein Halvor Halvorsen <svein.h@lvor.halvorsen.cc>
Cc:        DW <spock@dwinner.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: .bash_logout and shutdown -- need ideas

On Fri, 4 Aug 2006 freebsd-questions-request@freebsd.org wrote:

 > Message: 5
 > Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 19:38:12 +0200
 > From: Svein Halvor Halvorsen <svein.h@lvor.halvorsen.cc>
 > Subject: Re: .bash_logout and shutdown -- need ideas
 > To: DW <spock@dwinner.net>
 > Cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
 >
 > DW wrote:
 > > Just started using a .bash_logout script to handle doing my unison
 > :
 > > The problem with that though, is that the shutdown process runs as root,
 > > and just drops the system, and I'm never actually getting logged out as
 > > much as booted out. So my .bash_logout doesn't run, and thus no unison
 > > unless I remember to run it manually first.
 > >
 > > Any ideas on how to work around this sitch?
 >

 > At shutdown FreeBSD runs /etc/rc.shutdown. It seems that this script, by
 > means of /etc/rc.subr, will iterate all the files in (among others)
 > /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ and call them with the "faststop" argument.
 >
 > Maybe you could just add a script in there?
 >
 > (Actually, only files with a "# PROVIDES" line are considered, it seems,
 > so you should think about that).

Also, DW was running 'sudo shutdown -p now' which is indeed immediate ..
'shutdown -p +1' (say) sets the shutdown countdown to one minute, makes
(w)all sorts of noise then and again at (as I recall) 30 seconds to
zero, plenty of time to logout from other things and (auto)run any other
scripts you like before the shutdown-initiated rc.shutdown stuff.

Furthermore, if you change your mind you've got time to kill shutdown
itself before the timeout.  'sudo killall shutdown' should do the trick.

Cheers, Ian