Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 1999 03:46:47 -0700
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@roguetrader.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD administrator/consultant db on web...

--yrj/dFKFPuw6o+aM

Recently in my area I was put in contact with a company that had been
seeking FreeBSD help for a while (specifically for an upgrade to 3.0),
and they ended up digging up (as he put it) a 'linux admin' who was
woefully incompetent with FreeBSD and ended up formatting both of
their systems (loosing all data), after wedging them to a point where
he couldn't recover them (although from what I understand it was
probably a simple error).

Regardless, the manager made the comment to me that 'you [FreeBSD] guys
are very hard to find' which made me consider things a little bit.=20
Most people I know are willing to do a little freelance work,
regardless of the current job they may hold.  With this in mind it
might not be a bad idea to have a resource available where FreeBSD
admins who are interested in work (temporary freelance or permanent)
can simply register their name and area they are in, along with contact
information.  Other people and businesses would be able to use this to
get ahold of help more readilly.  The service would definitely want to
have a disclaimer, and despite the fun factor it shouldn't keep
information on skill levels nor anything other than 'this person says
they know freebsd as an administrator', leaving everything up to the
end user.

This is of course not too different than what exists currently under
the Commercial Consultanting Services list, but it'd be specifically
for individuals (and firms I suppose), as a searchable database
oriented off of the admin location--specifically designed to aid
people who _need_ FreeBSD support and email/news/etc is not sufficient
(or they dont want to do the work themselves).

While I could easilly run and spin this off on my own server, I do not
see much of a reason to do that, as it would work best as a part of
the central site.

-Brandon Gillespie

(btw, please CC me to any replies, as I am not on -chat).

--yrj/dFKFPuw6o+aM

--yrj/dFKFPuw6o+aM--