Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 1996 13:25:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        Hudginsj@DCAR.Main.PO (Jason Hudgins)
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Source code distribution..

> My companies webserver was running linux, but we just
> had a nasty hard drive crash..so now I am installing
> FreeBSD..I like it better, but I have a question with
> regards to the source..how exactly it is organized??
>
> Slackware was pretty easy for me to find what I was
> looking for..a1 a2 a3 a4 etc for the base stuff d1 d2 for
> developement...n1 n2 for networking packages..
>
> How are these arranged for FreeBSD...if I needed to
> patch a program...say for umount since it has/had
> buffer overflow problems...Where would I look
> for the source..short of downloading and
> extracting everything..

These are my opinions -- this is not my "area", so
I am sure that there are those who have a better feeling
for filesystem organization will correct me as appropriate:
This is also most applicable to -current (2.2), however,
is almost correct for 2.1.X.

/usr/src contains it all...

under that you'll sources that contain programs insubdirs:

etc		essentially the config files that reside in etc.
include		many of the user land include files
contrib		the base files for some of the imported programs like
		bison, tcl, etc...
lib		source file for the libs.  there are subdirs under
		that for the various libs.
usr.sbin	system programs (usually for root), that are used after boot,
		and after usr is mounted.
tools		misc install tools, etc.
sys		the infamous kernel
share		those things that are likely usable across platforms.  things
		like textfiles, and termcap, etc...
secure		an adjunct tree with various utilites that have encryption
		in them.
sbin		various binaries used during/after single user mode.
lkm		sources for various loadable kernel modules
libexec		various daemon sources
usr.bin		normal userland binaries
gnu		mostly GPLed code, but other restrictively copyrighted code
		also.
bin		normal userland binaries, also used by root before mounting
		/usr (single-user mode usage.)

John

general