Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 1998 22:21:44 -0700
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        higginsj@iname.com
Cc:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Where to get Windows Internet stuff/ More on Windows & BSD

At 01:13 AM 6/16/98 -0400, James wrote:

>They lived in /usr but they did several very complex integrations in the
>process of running and wrote out large temporary files containing
>results and partial results that resided in /var and /tmp until the app
>terminated.
>
>Problem is that even on an RS/6000 with 512 meg of RAM and SCSI disks
>they took days or as much as a month to complete one job.
>
>Meanwhile, the machine is still cranking on with it's daily duties.

Precisely what I love most about FreeBSD.  Try that on Win NT and
everything will crawl like a snail (both the scientific app and the other
daily duties, or if you're lucky it's either/or).

Nothing beats *nix multitasking, I haven't found a single other type of OS
that even comes close.  Exactly why MS will never own the Internet server
market.  They'll manage to carve out a niche (10% if they REALLY try hard)
with NT server, and that's about it.  They'll do somewhat better with
company intranets, due to lack of people who know Unix, and lack of need
for as much power.

--
My web site starts at http://www.serv.net/~fewtch/index.html -
lots of goodies for everyone, have a look if you have the time.