Date:      Sun, 25 Jun 1995 17:12:41 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        jan@todonix.ping.de (Jan Wedekind)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com (user alias)
Subject:   Re: 2.05R reboot hangs

> Hello Rodney,
>
> > Set your cache to write through mode or expect to get signall 11's at
> > random.  The board (all version) has a cache write back coherency problem
> > when used with bus master PCI devices (the NCR SCSI controller is a
> > PCI bus master).
> >
> > Turn off ISA GAT mode, though you may not need to if you don't have any
> > ISA bus masters.
> >
> ok we did!
>
> > Properly terminate your SCSI bus.  There is *NEVER* a reason to have 3
> > terminators on a scsi bus, plain and simple you are asking for trouble
> > if you do that.
> >
> well, that was not me who has terminated it 3 times;
> i double checked it and it is correctly terminated!
> Today i changed the cables and IRQ setting; will see the results shortly
> (the last 3 hours it worked!)
>
> > Please tell exactly what the last thing on the screen is after you
> > type reboot when the hang occurs (just the last line is all I need).
> >
> syncing discs ... done.
> rebooting.

Hhhmm. I'm seeing this too with one of my systems:

I type sync ; reboot and after saying 'rebooting' it just hangs.

ASUS GX4 board DX2/66, 16MB, AH1542CF floppy disabled,Seagate 31200,
ISA disks disabled. AMI (off memory),that blue screen BIOS with two columns.

> then the hang occured.
>
> > Compile a kernel with:
> > # BROKEN_KEYBOARD_RESET disables the use of the keyboard controller to
> > # reset the CPU for reboot.  This is needed on some systems with broken
> > # keyboard controllers.
> > options        "BROKEN_KEYBOARD_RESET"
> >
> we did and rebooted several times without a hang!
>
> the board for your collection: ASUS PCI/I-486SP3G, Rev. 1.8
>
> Jan
> --
> PING e.V.		Jan Wedekind (Kassenwart)	jan@ping.de
> Emil-Figge-Str. 85	Lindemannstr. 12		kasse@ping.de
> 44227 Dortmund		44137 Dortmund			vorstand@ping.de
> Tel.: 0231 / 97 91 - 0	Tel.: +49 (231) 13 44 04	info@ping.de

FreeBSD blues.physik.rwth-aachen.de 2.0-BUILT-19950619 FreeBSD 2.0-BUILT-1995
0619 #1: Mon Jun 19 19:54:08 MET DST 1995     kuku@blues.physik.rwth-aachen.d
e:/usr/src/sys/compile/BLUESGUS  i386