Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 1996 13:57:39 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        matt@bdd.net (Matthew Stein)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: Help : kernel thinks it's on sd1, when actually sd0?

Matthew Stein writes:

> On Sat, 13 Jul 1996, Doug White wrote:
>
>> Let's see:  you have the 53c810.  So you must have system BIOS support,
>> ie a ASUS motherboard.  Is that true?
>
> Yes.  It's an Asus P55-TP4XE, Pentium 133, with the latest BIOS and NCR
> SCSI BIOS support enabled.

I'm jumping into this thread rather late, and I can't remember: do you
also have an IDE controller?  I frequently use a trick that isn't very
well known or appreciated: if you disable the IDE disks in the BIOS
setup menu, you can boot from sd0 as DOS drive C: -- that's obvious.
But you can still access the IDE disks from FreeBSD, since it doesn't
listen to what the BIOS has to say.  I don't know if it's relevant
here, though.

Greg