Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 1996 17:40:26 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@Mcs.Net>
To:        kimc@w8hd.org (Kim Culhan)
Cc:        karl@Mcs.Net, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Building ports and packages?

> On Sun, 11 Aug 1996, Karl Denninger wrote:
>
> > > Karl Denninger stands accused of saying:
>
> > Hmmm...
>
> > One thing I have figured out -- I didn't have X11 on there, and that blows
> > up anything X related.  Can that be fixed without reinstalling the entire
> > machine? (ie: can I load the X11 release?)
>
> You could try using  your existing ~/ports/x11/XFree86 to build it on
> the machine, I can verify this works since it built cleanly here 24 hrs
> ago.
>
> kimc
>
> --
> kimc@w8hd.org

# cd /usr/ports/x11
# make XFree86

rm -f AuDispose.c
ln -s ../../lib/Xau/AuDispose.c AuDispose.c
rm -f AuGetBest.c
ln -s ../../lib/Xau/AuGetBest.c AuGetBest.c
rm -f AuFileName.c
ln -s ../../lib/Xau/AuFileName.c AuFileName.c
rm -f AuRead.c
ln -s ../../lib/Xau/AuRead.c AuRead.c
rm -f Wrap.h
ln -s ../../lib/Xdmcp/Wrap.h Wrap.h
rm -f Wrap.c
ln -s ../../lib/Xdmcp/Wrap.c Wrap.c
make: don't know how to make ../../lib/Xdmcp/Wraphelp.c. Stop
*** Error code 2

Stop.

Uh, no.

This is a brand-new "cvs co ports" command on the current CVS tree, updated
last night.

This is exactly the kind of insanity that I'm talking about, and its a
problem.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1 from $600 monthly; speeds to DS-3 available
			     | 23 Chicagoland Prefixes, 13 ISDN, much more
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1]     | Email to "info@mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net/
Fax:   [+1 312 248-9865]     | Home of Chicago's only FULL Clarinet feed!