Date:      Sat, 05 Aug 2006 14:56:50 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        beno <beno@web.vi>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: User Information (Easy Questions!)

--------------enig69EDBA882360B3A3CF1F3920

beno wrote:
> Matthew Seaman wrote:
>> Note: this is potentially a problem.  If the UID number gets reused fo=
r a
>> different account, that new user will get all the ownership rights to =
the
>> old users' files.  It can often be a better policy to disable an old
>> account
>> -- set the password field in /etc/master.passwd to '!!' and change the=

>> shell
>> to /sbin/nologin -- rather than to delete it.
>>  =20

> Before I go trotting off and do this and potentially replace the wrong
> field, which one is the passwd?
> tick:$1$CDKLp9qt$sfo5Mi5/dB1uGZUuc5uKk0:1001:1001::0:0:User
> &:/home/tick:/sbin/nologin

The second field -- see passwd(5) (by which I mean type 'man 5 passwd', i=
it isn't obvious)

>> You can also get a report on any 'unowned' files in the weekly periodi=
>> e-mail by adding
>>
>>     weekly_noid_enable=3D"YES"
>>
>> to /etc/periodic.conf
>>  =20
> Where does it find the email address?

The periodic emails are sent to root@localhost.  There are at least two
every day, plus an extra at the end of each week and at the end of each
month -- you're expected to set up an alias that forwards them to the
sysadmins for the machine.

Check /etc/mail/aliases, you should have a line that says something like:=

    root:  youruid

in there towards the top.  Edit the file appropriately and then type=20
'make' in the /etc/mail directory. If you haven't done that and you've be=
en
running a FreeBSD box for a while, you'll find that root's mailbox --
/var/mail/root -- is probably rather full.  =20

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Flat 3