Date:      11 Mar 1999 21:37:15 +0100
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The Boot Disk(s) for the samsung UX 164 MB a.k.a Ruffian

Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu> wrote:

> Unfortunately, this motherboard doesn't support the SRM console, only
> AlphaBios.

Actually it comes with ARCSBIOS which is yet again different from
AlphaBIOS. I assume ARCSBIOS is the alpha port of the mips ARC console.
Apparently it's only good for booting NT, too.

I'm not sure how different the UX is from the LX board. I've tried to
flash the LX SRM console into my UX (there's an emergency "Safe
ARCSBIOS" to recover from broken firmware updates) to see whether it
runs, but I haven't even managed to get it flashed.

I'm going to install the Red Hat Linux that came with my alpha (hey,
Linux ain't bad), maybe we can figure something out later.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de