Date:      Tue, 25 Aug 1998 14:52:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Syphers <dsyphers@igpp.llnl.gov>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   XFree86

Okay, the frustration level's running a little high, which is why I'm
sending this message instead of reading _more_ docs (and I'm sure the
my guruish friend is getting tired of me running to him all the time).
I'm attempting to install XFree86 on my Chembook 6300 laptop and I'm not
having much sucess.  I copied the necessary files to a directory in the
/usr partition and unpacked them ("extract" didn't work, but whatever.
i just used gunzip and tar).  I ran xf86config and the basic vanilla
 video setup (640x480 16 color using X332VG16) because my NeoMagic 128
isn't directly supported. This didn't work.  I then tried using
XF86Setup through /stand/sysinstall, and while this seemed more
 promising (hey, it could display the very X-like thing it uses for
 setup), it got me no further. Every time I try to run X using
 "startx," I get the same error -

"{blah blah blah}
(--) VGA16: There is no mode definition named "640x480"

Fatal server error:
No valid modes found..."

Since XF86Setup said that it started the server correctly (and the end
of the configuration), I'm wondering if there something besides the
configuration that I'm doing wrong...

*briefly stands on soapbox*
I am new to FreeBSD.  By this I do _not_ mean "I've only been a Sun
sysadmin for 10 years" new to FreeBSD.  I mean that I've come directly
from the world of Microsoft.  I've been playing around with FreeBSD off
and on for over a year now, and obviously haven't accomplished much.  I
really like FreeBSD and the atmosphere of it's users, but I'd just like
to cast one more vote for the idea that FreeBSD doesn't have adaquate
support for those of us with absolutely no experience with this stuff -
no experience with Sun, with SYSV, with Linux, or with DOS.

David Syphers
dsyphers@igpp.llnl.gov
"We are the Knights who say 'Nee!'"