Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 1998 13:16:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      eps@sirius.com
To:        www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD in the Press: "It's only free Unix - but I like it"

<URL:http://www.irish-times.com/irish-times/paper/1998/1012/cmp2.html>;

The Irish Times

COMPUTIMES                             Monday, October  12,  1998

                       It's only free Unix
                         - but I like it

David Malone gives us an insider's view of Linux and FreeBSD

LINUX 5: In 1995, during a summer job at Ieunet (now Esat Net), I
first encountered free Unix. We were testing Linux and FreeBSD
(another free version of UNIX) to see if they would make good
Unix servers. By the end of the summer we'd moved the main Web
server to a free Unix machine. The reason? We'd run into an
obscure problem which we diagnosed and fixed once we had the
operating system (OS) source code available. (It wasn't a problem
with the OS, but we needed the OS source code.)

After this positive experience we decided to try it out in the
School of Mathematics in Trinity College, Dublin. We bought a
Pentium 120 as a server and several diskless 486 PCs to act as
terminals for undergraduates. The server out-performed our
1-year-old Sun SPARC stations by a factor of 2 or 3 and cost
less. The money we saved by buying 486s instead of branded
terminals allowed us to get 17-inch monitors for undergraduates
(rather up-market for that time).

In the School of Mathematics we provide a Unix system for about
1000 undergraduates, postgraduates and staff. The system has
always been run by students. Free Unix is ideal for us: it lets
us use high-quality, easy-to-maintain software on generic PC
hardware - which has a good price/performance ratio.

You'd be amazed at how many users a single Pentium can support.
One day I found that one of our FreeBSD servers wouldn't let
anyone else log in. I'd accidentally left it configured for a
maximum of 32 logins. I increased the number and ever since it
has happily supported everyone who has tried to log in.

Now we use free Unix for everything from email and Web browsing
to high-performance simulation of quantum mechanics and telephone
networks. Our system will be all free Unix by next summer - with
one possible exception: our secretarial staff complain that they
don't have Windows. I'm offering them KDE, a free Windows-like
GUI for Unix, and hopefully that will provide what they need.

Free Unix has been making huge inroads in academia. New research
software now usually appears for Linux before any other platform.
TCD's Computer Science department is considering replacing NT
file servers with Linux machines - to simplify administration.
The successful student Internet societies (e.g. UCD, TCD, UL) all
use free Unix to provide services to their members.

It isn't just academics either. Oracle and Yahoo use free Unix
for their business needs. Closer to home, most (perhaps all?) of
the Irish ISPs use free Unix machines as servers. Irish companies
like Baltimore, Iona and Nua all use free Unix in their
operations. Even the name server for Ireland (.ie domain) is a
Linux machine.

UNIX isn't quite for everyone - yet. Traditionally Unix has been
used for "serious" computing, so there hasn't been the same push
to develop user-friendly tools, which are the basis of Mac-OS and
Windows. Some people say that learning computers though Windows
is like learning phrases of a language but learning through Unix
is more like learning the grammar and the individual words. Both
approaches have their merits. However, tools to make Unix easy to
use are finally available - thanks to the growth of Linux.

Free Unix also has a lot to offer those who are just interested
in computers: you have a vast selection of free software to play
with. This means you can email, browse the Web, write reports and
program like everyone else. Naturally, I typed this article on a
free Unix machine.

You can also "tinker under the hood" as the source code is at
hand. This allows you to become part of a world-wide development
team - quite exciting for the average hobbyist! (There are a few
lines of C code written by me in FreeBSD - something I'm a little
proud of.)

You might notice I've used the phrase "free Unix". This is
because, as well as Linux, there are some versions derived from
the original "BSD" Unix. Some people like to argue about which is
better - Linux or BSD. Both are admirable pieces of work but they
differ slightly.

Linux is the most widely used free Unix by a long way.
Consequently Linux has the widest hardware support and a good
selection of available commercial software (see earlier articles
in this series). The BSD people run a smaller operation and
provide a single place where you can get everything: software,
documentation and source code. BSD is also licensed in such a way
that the code can be reused commercially - Apple has used the BSD
networking code in their new OS.

I'd recommend test driving free Unix to anyone in the computer
business. Which free Unix should you choose? Well, what do your
friends run? Can the Irish Linux users group help you?

The free Unix world is a very interesting place to be. It's a
world of rapid and exciting new developments. Some people think
that Unix may beat Windows NT at its own game. It hasn't got to
the stage where we'll all buy PCs with Linux on them - but now we
have a choice.

David Malone:
dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie

Special Offer: Four readers who email Computimes today, with the
correct definition of what BSD stands for will receive a free CD
of the 2.2.6 release (2.2.7 is the latest) of freeBSD from David
Malone. Please put FreeBSD (one word) in the subject field and
include your name and address in the body of the message. The
four lucky winners will be drawn from the traditional hat.

(c) Copyright: The Irish Times
Contact: itwired@irish-times.com