Date:      Fri, 03 Nov 2000 02:26:09 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Anthony Rubin <tonyr@generalsearch.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make world over NFS

Anthony Rubin wrote:

> I am interested in setting up a central box that will make buildworld on a
> regular basis that I will be able to use to upgrade other boxes.  I would
> like to store /usr/src and /usr/obj on our NetApp and NFS mount them on the
> box that does the make buildworld and any boxes that I want to upgrade.  Are
> there any other directories that I need to keep on the NetApp in order for
> this to work?

	No, /usr/src and /usr/obj are all you need.

> Any other comments or suggestions?

	Your performance on the buildworld will suffer because writes over NFS
are much slower than reads. You should consider doing the build on your
freebsd machine and nfs exporting form there. If this isn't feasible,
your plan will work anyways, it'll just be slower building.

Good luck,

Doug
--
    Life is an essay test. Long form. Spelling counts.