Date:      Sun, 3 Jun 2001 08:55:54 -0700
From:      Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Where's BSD in this picture?

At 10:54 AM -0600 6/2/01, Brett Glass wrote:
>And, alas, most often not activated.

An interesting, if ill-defined conjecture.  Do you meant that the
Mac OS X software on most received machines is never activated or
that it isn't activated as often as the Mac OS 9 software?  I am
pretty sure that the latter is correct; I'm not as sure about the
former.  I suspect that many users will at least "try out" Mac OS
X, as long as it's on the hard drive.

OTOH, if you're talking about explicit use of BSD, I suspect that
most Mac OS users will leave the command line alone (as Apple
quite clearly intends), but that any Linux or Unix aficionado is
both able and quite likely to pull up a Terminal window and try
things out a bit.

Apple started out by being extremely reluctant to mention Unix in
any of its public messages; they appeared to be afraid that its
presence, however hidden, might scare away their mainstream users.
In recent months, however, they have started talking about it on
their web site, etc.  They also decided to ship a Developer Tools
CD with every boxed set of Mac OS X.  This is pretty radical stuff.

Meanwhile, they have been getting strong feedback from the early
adopters, indicating that there is a contingent of "SciTech" users
who are VERY interested in playing with the Unix side of Mac OS X.
For this reason, Apple has been quite supportive of the efforts to
make the FreeBSD Ports Collection run on Darwin and Mac OS X (see
http://www.ptf.com/tdc for more information).

>OS X has a ways to go yet before the average user
>will want to run it.

We have it running on a couple of machines.  It seems to be stable,
capable, and well-thought-out.  It isn't perfect, of course (some
things are slow; some UI features are not to my taste), but it's
easily as good as any other new OS introduction I have seen in my
30 years in the field.

Given that Apple isn't forcing anyone to use Mac OS X (yet :-), I
see no real harm in their allowing folks to try it out while they
work out these issues, get third-party packages on board, etc.  By
putting it on shipping systems, they make their direction clear to
developers, possibly motivating some to move a little faster.

>Note that Linux was mentioned explicitly but not the BSDs.

Linux has more mindshare than the BSDs.  This is not news.  BSD is
starting to get more mindshare, partly as a result of its inclusion
in Mac OS X.  This is news.  Whether this will translate to any
adoptions of FreeBSD is, of course, an open question.

-r
--
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm - home page, resume, etc.
http://www.cfcl.com/Meta/md_fb.html - The FreeBSD Browser