Date:      Sun, 30 Jul 2006 18:04:23 -0700
From:      Micah <micahjon@ywave.com>
To:        Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: devfs and changing device permissions

Robert Huff wrote:
> 	If I want to permanently change the permissions for a device, I
> add en entry to /etc/devfs.conf.  Right?

Depends. If the device is present when the system boots, yes. If it
shows up later (like a USB drive) then you need to set up some
/etc/devfs.rules instead.

> 	But that doesn't get picked up until the next time devd is
> started.  If I want to change the permissions right now, can I just
> go into /dev and use chmod or do I need to fool around with
> devfs(8)?
>

> 			Robert Huff

devfs.rules are applied when you execute /etc/rc.d/devfs restart, and
that may apply to devfs.conf too (never tried it honestly). That said,
I've never had problems using chmod for temporary changes on device nodes.

HTH,
Micah