Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2007 16:11:00 +0200
From:      Dejan Lesjak <dejan.lesjak@ijs.si>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Cc:        Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?q?Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>, Florent Thoumie <flz@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: What can I do?

On Wednesday 28 of March 2007, Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav wrote:
> Florent Thoumie <flz@FreeBSD.org> writes:
> > It's working for you without major breakage only because you're using
> > 500 ports out of 16000+ (like I do, like almost everybody does). Still
> > some ports are breaking with the new xorg, or because of the prefix
> > merge. We're working on those ports. Have a look at [1] or [2] to get
> > regular updates on xorg work.
> > [...]
> > As you can see on [3], we're still committing fixes. We usually fix
> > those ports by ourselves (miwi, lesi and myself) but occasionally
> > forward them to maintainers when we can't figure out what's wrong or
> > when it requires non-trivial fix. When we fixed all ports broken in a
> > single experimental pointyhat build, a new one is scheduled and then we
> > get new errorlogs, ...
>
> I suspect you're way past the point where new issues show up faster
> than you can fix them.  The only way out of this tar pit is to merge
> everything into the ports tree so other port maintainers have a real
> incentive to help you out.

Not quite just yet. We should at least fix trivial failures (mostly plist=20
fixes) that would otherwise keep things like qt and gtk from building. But=
=20
yes, once we're at the stage that some (mostly leaf) ports fail because of=
=20
library differences and such then yes, we should go and merge the thing=20
(possibly with short freeze and definitely with large headsups). I don't=20
think it will take much longer until we get there.

Dejan