Date:      Sat, 3 Feb 2001 12:00:35 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: D J Bernstein (was Re: quote about open source)

Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in> types:
> I admit I'm no expert in programming: but his approach to security
> seems to be an innovation already, like using small independent programs
> running under their own non-root UIDs, and minimising the number and
> power of suid programs needed.   Looks obvious, but why didn't
> sendmail and bind get there first?

To answer the last question - because they were written when only
responsible adults had internet access, or "when we were all friends"
(I think those are Eric Fair's words). Compare this to BSD Unix
vs. Windows: Windows grew up in a single-tasking, single-user
environment, so that if a program altered things it didn't own, it was
inevitably a bug. BSD Unix grew up in a university environment, with
many students with no free time trying to break into them - so it
wasn't at all uncommon for a program to try something it shouldn't
just to see what would happen. You might also consider the many
security features of SMTP of that era.

As for the approach, I'm pretty sure that those aren't original to
qmail. WN & GN come to mind. There's at least one tool - I believe
it's in the TIS fwtk - that ran an smtp daemon to accept messages and
drop them in a queue, then ran sendmail to deliver them - the
performance pretty much sucked, though. DJB was the first person to
apply them to a publicly released MTA, though.

	<mike