Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 1996 20:21:15 +0000
From:      Matt Thomas <matt@lkg.dec.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   New de driver alpha testers wanted

What's in this driver to be tested?  Only one new feature ...

Most cards shipped that are based on the 21140 (etc) have enough
information encoding in the serial eeprom to that the generic
Win96/WNT/Novell drivers can use the card is each of its modes.

I'm completing a de driver which will be able to use same information
to achieve the same flexibility.  Such that it should support new
cards automagically.  This has caused a significant rewrite of major
portions of the configuration logic.  Even better, the driver is
starting to shrink in size again.

I'm specifically looking for those with non-SMC and non-DEC 2114x
based cards.

Also, the autosense logic for 21040 cards has been enhanced so that
it detect a loss of link pulses (or carrier on sends) and try to
sense the new media.  (ie. it should be able to switch from UTP
to BNC and back automatically).  Also, if you can test 10baseT
full-duplex I'd also be interested in hearing from you.

Note that this work is still quite new but it should allow even better
support of new cards in the future (note that this will mean that
multiport cards will be supported with no extra effort).

If you are interested and not concerned about having your system
panic, please send me some mail!
3am Software Foundry      WWW URL:    http://www.3am-software.com/bio/matt.html
Westford, MA              Disclaimer: I disavow all knowledge of this message