Date:      Fri, 24 Jul 1998 06:41:39 -0700 ()
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   More trials with FreeBSD

	Ok, David's message got me to thinking. This mailing list dosen't
have enough traffic! :) So, I'm going to bore you all with my latest round
of FreeBSD related fun.

	It all started innocently enough. I noticed the extremly low price
of AMD K6-233 chips, coupled with the low price of 32 meg SDRM, coupled
with the fact that my Dual-P5-166 was getting seriously outdated, and the
fact that a brand spanking new credit card with an untouched $2500 limit
had fallen into my hands. Of course, one thing led to another, and a new
processor, motherboard and memory chip all happened to appear in my parts
closet. Then I found an extremly good deal on a Quantum 4.5gig SCSI hard
drive. Which prompted me to upgrade my Asus SC-200 SCSI card to a brand
new Ultra Wide, ASUS SC-875!
	Two days ago I finally had the time to put all this into my full
tower case. Now, I my old Dual-Pentium motherboard had plenty of room for
very large PCI cards, namely my video and network cards. The new cards did
not exactly fit on the new (much smaller) motherboard. A pity.
	So I bought a new AGP video card, and a Kingston 40BT Network
card. After installing them, I get the bright idea that this machine will
still play games pretty dang well so I decide that with 4.5 gigs of hard
drive space, Windows 95 would take up a very small part of that.
	15 hours later, and nearly $1000 dollars more (I also bought a
nice flatbed scanner...) my credit card is smoking, and I've got a very
nicely running FreeBSD machine hooked up to my Pentium-90 FreeBSD modem
server.... And K6-300's are looking mighty cheap this week... :)

					Rick

PS, Anybody know if GIMP will run a HP4c Scanner?