Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 1996 09:58:20 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Load-balancing box

On Mon, 12 Aug 1996, Terry Lambert wrote:

> Specifically, it can react when one of the machines goes down (but how
> can it know?).

It can assign an infinite cost to a server that doesn't respond.  The
operator can manually reset the server or there can be some kind of cost
decay algorithm so that the redirector will try again later.

> The whole problem is that you connect to an address instead of a service
> in the first place -- this type of load balancing assumes all clients
> have statistically identical duration, and doesn't truly balance the
> load between the boxes.  For example, if I have 3 boxes, and 300 incoming
> connections are made, and 200 of them leave, one box can have 100
> connections and the other two can be idle.

Doesn't absolute duration only matter anyway?  I don't think it matters
that a faster server services more requests.

> The fix is called "service anonymity" and requires a fundamental change
> in the way addresses get resolved/routed, and the ability to actively
> retarget session state (if any) from one server to another through
> consensus of the servers in the cluster.

Different costs can be assigned by ip/port pairs.  I'm not sure what
exactly the LocalDirector does as there's little information on their
pages.  I would imagine that the cost determination policy is where most
of the experimentation would be needed.

Mike Hancock