Date:      Wed, 31 Oct 2001 17:26:51 +0000
From:      "Walter C. Pelissero" <walter@pelissero.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NatWest? no thanks

Brett Glass writes:
 > Install an ad-blocking proxy such as WebWasher (http://www.webwasher.com/).
 > Most of these can be set to replace your browser's user agent string with
 > whatever you specify.

Are suggesting that I should disguise myself to access a service I pay
for?  Sounds like freedom of choice is all right as long as you
practice it undercover.

I know there are plenty of http filters (not necessarily expensive
ones) that would let me sneak through the fascist bank's compatibility
checks.  I could even use Internet Explorer from within a VMWare
emulator.  That's not the point.

I just dont' want to support an obvious political discrimination not
supported by any practical or technical fact.

BTW, how would an http filter serve you when you visit, say, a
download page that chooses the right link to follow according to the
OS you are running?  Or are suggesting to configure Netscape to switch
proxy only when I have to access my bank?

--
walter pelissero
http://www.pelissero.org