Date:      Tue, 21 May 1996 12:32:46 +0300
From:      Dmitry Kohmanyuk <dk@rock.lot.kiev.ua>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Congrats on CURRENT 5/1 SNAP...

In article <6697.832652704@time.cdrom.com> you wrote:
> > Okay, but there are already copies of some of these in /stand!  Also, if

> Which actually should probably get blown away automagically at some
> point soon in sysinstall's lifetime.  I don't think that /stand is
> useful enough to justify its existance.

I tell you, that having a /stand saved me a hell lot of time when
putting bad memory chips in my server box trashed my /bin directory
two days ago.  (I still don't understand why, having no writing activity
on root filesystem (my /tmp is a MFS, and /var is on separate partitition)
I have got that;  maybe just random memory corruption?  I use PCI NCR SCSI
card).

Anyway, /stand is less than 2 Mb;  I better have it as a safety net
all the time but have to reinstall the system once damaged root filesystem.
(I don't know an easy way to restore only root without manually
extracting all the needed files from the distribution using fixit floppy.)