Date:      Fri, 03 Nov 2000 16:32:22 +0100
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        Jochem Kossen <j.kossen@home.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: updating packages (binary updates)

Jochem Kossen schrieb:

> Hi,
>
> I read through the FreeBSD handbook, especially the section covering
> ports/packages, but updating packages is mentioned nowhere.
>
> Is there a convenient way to update packages?

the pkg_info and pkg_version cmds help you to determine which to update.
pkg_delete, then pkg_add the packages mentioned by pkg_version.

> I don't mean using CVS,CVSup,CTM (source updates) but binary updates, like
> this is arranged in Linux using RPM and DEB.

Ummm, what's wrong with CVSup? I like the way it keeps my ports
directory current (yes, I do this with cron).

> Or is it possible to just pkg_add <pkgname> if there is already an old
> version of <pkgname> installed?

Yes and no. it will tell you an older version is still present.

> I guess pkg_delete <oldpkg_name> and then pkg_add <newpkgname> doesn't solve
> this problem, because of the dependencies...

...which are still dependencies when you do try to update packages. I
prefer to update all dependent packages at the same time, compiling
everything from source. One can do it this way using packages, too ;)

HTH
-Christoph Sold
--
i-clue GmbH, Endersbacher Str. 57, D-71334 Waiblingen
Fon: (0 71 51) 9 59 01-12,  Fax: (0 71 51) 9 59 01-55