Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 1998 10:24:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Whacked systat/vmstat reports

[I sent this once, but hub was in an altered state at the time
 and I never saw the posting...]

Here is a bit of cut-n-paste from a "systat -vmstat" display on my
2.2.6-stable machine with 64MB ram and 128MB swap:

Mem:KB    REAL            VIRTUAL                     VN PAGER  SWAP PAGER
        Tot   Share      Tot    Share    Free         in  out     in  out
Act   17980    2376  3825328     3608    7996 count    3           1
All   64072    5612   815324    17140         pages   15           3

What is wrong with this picture?  Does the 3825328 seem ever so
slightly whacked?  This has been a curiosity for quite some time,
in fact I think it might even pre-date my upgrade from 2.2.5 to
2.2.6.

Oddly enough, top(1) reports a reasonable figure for the same
parameter.  The output of vmstat(8) is whacked in the same way as
systat(1) though.

dmesg says:

 real memory  = 67108864 (65536K bytes)
 avail memory = 63660032 (62168K bytes)