Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 1996 09:39:04 +0200 (EET)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>, Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Go SCSI! Big improvement...

On Mon, 26 Feb 1996, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > > Why not? Do you really want to say it was just a joke on the
> > > manufacturer's part to put *three* VLB slots on the motherboards?
> > yes, more or less.
>
> I think we could just as easily say that it was a (sad) joke on
> the manufacturer's part to include *any* VLB slots on the motherboard.. :-)
>
> VLB was a brief bad dream in between EISA and PCI and is probably best
> forgotten.

Why am I aguing with everybody these days? Quite strange - still I have
to disagree. For quite some time VLB actually was the high speed
alternative to  the ISA bus. Yes, perhaps it wasn't the best move and the
best way to go. But certainly it was a great improvment - it did give the
oppurturnity to have high speed cards (where was PCI at that time?). To
me (and I think also to a lot of other people) VLB was the thing that
brought *high speed* graphics, the ability to have more than one
busmaster card in the computer and so on.

For me there is yet another point - currently round here the VLB only
486 boards are quite a bit cheaper (yes I know why - that old junk, but
still - not that much worser). But should I ever try to buy myself a
computer - I'm sad to say it will be something of the kind (I'm only 19,
after all).

> 					Jordan

	Sander