Date:      Sat, 04 Jul 1998 17:39:45 -0700
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Top Ten (here's mine...)

At 12:00 AM 7/4/98 +1000, Sue Blake wrote:

>As a newbie without X, if you could only install ten FreeBSD packages,
>which ones would be essential for everyday use?

*WITHOUT* X?  Hmmm, I can't think of anything essential whatsoever (the
base distribution is enough).  If I had X, I could think of a number of
packages that would be useful and fun, though:

* xearth
* rxvt
* xcalendar
* xfishtank
* asclock
* ftptool
* Netscape Communicator 4.04
* xtar
* Acroread
* xfmail

How's that for a top 10 (not including dependencies, of course)?  I
purposely didn't include my X client of choice (Fvwm2) since everyone has
the option of choosing their favorite and that's part of the fun.  I really
can't think of anything though for a newbie *WITHOUT* x.  Why would a
newbie want to run BSD without X, anyway?  They most likely won't be doing
much programming, so what are they going to do with their system?  Using X
utilities like ftptool is *SO* much easier than typing "ftp" on the command
line...

Well... on second thought, I can think of one that is essential for a
newbie if you're gonna be working without X: mc (Midnight Commander).  It's
a Norton Commander clone (only 10 times better) that is simply incredibly
useful for all kinds of file and directory management.  It does require
linux_libs though (a 5 meg dependency), and having the ability to run Linux
binaries set in /etc/rc.conf.

--
My web site starts at http://www.serv.net/~fewtch/index.html -
lots of goodies for everyone, have a look if you have the time.