Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 96 16:34:20
From:      "Jake Hamby" <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   In Hollywood, nothing is as it seems

True story:  I was referred to by a coworker that a North Hollywood security
company was looking for a sysadmin to diagnose some trouble they'd been
having with their SCO UNIX box.  So we drove over to this place, which was
hidden in a cul-de-sec next to some old warehouses.  It had a 9-ft high black
wall around the perimeter and a high-tech looking keypad.  The guy who referred
me (who had decided to tag along for moral support) pushed the keypad and
introduced us.  A woman opened the door and let us through the gate, behind
which was a seemingly ordinary looking house that had been converted to office
space.

She walked up to the front, past the ordinary looking white front door, and
up to a wall covered with shelves and some old paint cans.  She pushed it open;
it was the door to the house!  All the paint cans were conveniently glued together
and the whole thing swung open on hinges.  The "real" door was a fake, cleverly
mounted to an outside wall.  We were trying to play it cool, but afterwards
we both said, "Man, I want one of those on my house!"  :-)

The moral of the story is the subject of this post.

As for the SCO (OpenServer 5) box, it was really screwy.  Thank God I don't
have to work on SCO systems in my day job!  The system had four modems
attached through a Digi port server, and would occasionally pause for seconds
(sometimes minutes) at a time, for no apparent reason.  Also, it couldn't seem
to connect at faster than 9600 bps (the gettydefs was set to 38400 bps
but would immediately drop down to 9600).  Connecting the modem directly
to the PC, rather than through the Digi, didn't fix the problem, so it had to
be the SCO OS itself.  Apparently they've had this problem for five _years_,
even with a previous computer and version of the OS.

I suggested they upgrade to Solaris/x86, which would perform much better (the
thing was a Pentium 166, but *felt* like a 386, an observation shared by
other people on this list in the "Free SCO" thread), and offer 100% binary
compatibility with their old SCO binaries.  I would like to suggest FreeBSD, but I
doubt that our SCO compatibility is that robust (nor is Linux's) to run such
wonderful programs as Microsoft Word, Foxpro, and Wordperfect for SCO. :-)
At any rate, they accepted, guaranteeing me a hefty consulting fee for a
day's work of upgrading to an OS I know how to deal with.  But just out of
curiosity, does anyone on this list know what might have been causing their
SCO dial-in terminal woes in the first place?

-- Jake