Date:      Sun, 12 Jul 1998 12:56:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Dowdal <jdowdal@destiny.erols.com>
To:        Carroll Kong <damascus@eden.rutgers.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dump / Restore - Good backup method?

On Sun, 12 Jul 1998, Carroll Kong wrote:

> Ok... now mounting.. no problem.  And restoring... hm... restore rf
> <filename> (in this man page example, that's a tape drive, right?  For my
> case, I would be outputting and restoring from a solid file.  Not that
> there is a real difference between a file and a device since they are
> technically the same. :)  )

You could replace all instances of the tape drive with a file, OR you
could also specify the file/device as "host:file" and it will go fetch the
file over the network.  This is extremely useful if you have other unix
machines on the network.

Examples:

[r]dump 0sf 200000 storm:/dev/nrst0
[r]restore if storm:/dev/nrst0
   [interactive (partial) restore]
[r]restore rf storm:/dev/nrst0
   [full restore]

Under most modern unixes, you may omit the leading 'r' (for remote) when
using dump restore.  Known exception: DEC Ultrix.

You may also use dump/restore on solaris machines.  They just renamed the
commands to 'ufsdump' and 'ufsrestore'

John