Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 1995 22:24:48 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: scsi reprobing

As Paul Richards wrote:

> Does any of this actually work? Opening a device that wasn't on when the
> system booted results in "device not configured messages".
>
> The super scsi device doesn't exist and isn't reference in the scsi(4)
> manpage.

For the super device, we will have to wait until Peter is back again.
For the other devices, it's a chicken-and-egg problem.  You cannot
open a non-configured device, but as soon as you've got a single
control device on a SCSI bus, you can fire up a `scsi -f ... -r -t
...'  on it.  It doesn't actually matter which device you are using
(and it didn't since the day when Julian has been creating scsi(8)),
so you can e.g. ``scsi -f /dev/rsd0.ctl -r -t 5'' in order to probe
SCSI target 5 when there's only sd0 already online.

I've been using those reprobes for more than two years now.

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/