Date:      Sun, 24 Nov 1996 14:54:53 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu, grog@lemis.de, terry@lambert.org, chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ATAPI (was: Who needs Perl? We do!)

Terry Lambert stands accused of saying:
> > What are these A/V drives I see nowdays?  Are these just
> > standard-issue SCSI drives trying to get on the 'multimedia'
> > bandwagon, or is there really something else to them?
>
> They are standard drives which do not have an off cycl;e for thermal
> recalibration.

This is not strictly true.

> This makes them faster to dump an incoming stream of "A/V" data
> and turn around for more data, but it makes them much more sensitive
> to thermal variance.

An incorrect conclusion, a conjunction and a falshehood.

> If you have a machine you leave on all the time, and you scsiformat
> after it has reached thermal equilibrium, and never remount after a
> crash until it is, again, at thermal equilibrium, and you maintain
> a standard thermal profile with consistent ventilation to a controlled
> environment in which the machine is placed, you can use them all day
> with no difference, except they are slightly faster over a bursty short
> haul.

This is derived from dream-delirium facts, and should be tossed out
before either baby or bathwater.

> If you don't do any of these things, they are slightly faster over a
> bursty short haul, but they have a *significantly* decreased MTBF.

This was probably derived from the above observations, but may be
true regardless.  It is certainly speculation.

Some theory :
 - harddisk platters are made of aluminium.
 - aluminium expands and contracts corresponding to temperature.
 - harddisks generate quite a lot of heat.
 - disk control logic uses a variety of techniques for getting the head
   to the right place on the disk as quickly as possible.  One of
   these techniques calls for guesstimating "about where" to sling
   the head before actually looking at the disk to see where it is.
 - in order to compensate for the expansion/contraction of the
   platters, the drive logic performs a periodic operation known as
   "thermal recalibration", where it hops the head across the disk
   comparing where it thinks the head should have landed with where
   it actually _did_ land, and updating it's idea of what is where
   accordingly.
 - in 'conventional' disk drives, this process is uninterruptible,
   and can take hundreds of milliseconds.

So, to deal with the "AV" crowd, whose hardware often can't handle
being starved of data for several hundred ms, drive manufacturers made
the recalibration process interruptible, so that data operations
continue and recalibration occurs in the "background".

Even with the use of a servo surface, it is not practical to abandon
thermal recalibration at all.