Date:      Sat, 4 Nov 2000 02:36:38 +0530
From:      "N. D. Gangadhar" <dhani@pal.ece.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Acroread: Root vs. user.

Hello,

Again a root/user problem on FBSD-4.1.1R (See my mail about ssh/RSA).
I have installed acroread3 (from /dist/packages). While root can run
the program, user cannot. This is to do with the ldconfig. The problem
persists with ports/acroread4 from FBSD site.

[dhani@vasantam:p1 ~]% acroread4
                       [ nothing happens ]
[dhani@vasantam:p1 ~]% /usr/local/Acrobat4/Reader/intellinux/bin/acroread
/usr/local/Acrobat4/Reader/intellinux/bin/acroread: error in loading shared
libraries: libAGM.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory
[dhani@vasantam:p1 ~]% ls /usr/local/Acrobat4/Reader/intellinux/lib
XKeysymDB               libCoolType.so          libICC.so.1.0
libAGM.so               libCoolType.so.1.0      libreadcore.so
libAGM.so.3.0           libICC.so               libreadcore.so.4.0

Nither ldconfig -r not /compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig -p has
/usr/local/Acrobat? in its list. Adding this dir using ldconfig -m didn't
help.

If this is of any consequence, one thing I remember doing after installing
4.1.1R is to give read permissions of /dev/null to all (o.w. ps etc. refuse
to work for users).

Thanks in advance for any help.
Gangadhar.
--
I am working today; do not want to go anywhere.
NANDYALA D. Gangadhar, EE and PAL/ECE, IISc., Bangalore 560 012.