Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 1996 15:34:31 +0100 (GMT+0100)
From:      "Alain FAUCONNET" <af@biomath.jussieu.fr>
To:        awj@deakin.edu.au (Adam Jenkins)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: base distribution

Adam Jenkins wrote / a ecrit:

> Sorry I couldnt find this in the FAQ etc, but hey at least it
> is an easy question! :)
> What is does the base distribution (bin.aa-az, bin.ba-bz, bin.c-p)
> consist of, and which option is it from the instsll menu?

They're a gzipped tarfile split into parts. See  what  the  install.sh
file does to install them:
vvv-- concatenate the files
cat bin.?? | tar --unlink -xpzf - -C /
             ^^^--- then untar them into /, gunzipping them on the fly

BEWARE! don't type this command blindly! If you want to  do  something
specific  go study carefully the tar man page and type the appropriate
command afterwards.

As  for  the  "which  option  from  the install menu" I don't get your
question, sorry. Maybe someone else will pick it up.

_Alain_

--
Alain FAUCONNET    Ingenieur systeme - System Manager     AP-HP/SIM
Public Health                91 bld de l'Hopital 75013 PARIS FRANCE