Date:      Sat, 4 Jul 1998 21:42:44 -0400
From:      "Peter D. Pawelek" <ppawel@axess.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Top Ten (here's mine...)

Quoting Tim Gerchmez (fewtch@serv.net):

> purposely didn't include my X client of choice (Fvwm2) since everyone has
> the option of choosing their favorite and that's part of the fun.  I really
> can't think of anything though for a newbie *WITHOUT* x.  Why would a
> newbie want to run BSD without X, anyway?  They most likely won't be doing
> much programming, so what are they going to do with their system?  Using X
> utilities like ftptool is *SO* much easier than typing "ftp" on the command
> line...

Actually, I spend most of my time at the console. Besides using vim for
programming, I prefer using slrn/mutt/lynx for most of my Internet
activities. Although I've got nothing against X, sometimes I just want
to cut to the chase and not put up with the bloat that comes with it; I've
got 64MB of RAM and it's depressing to do a 'top' whilst in X and see that
most of my RAM has been gobbled up before even starting up an app like
Netscape (which takes about 5-10 seconds to load on my P133).

Having multiple xterms and a big virtual desktop is the nice
thing about X. But, when I use it I prefer to use a minimal window
manager like wm2 (check it out...a tiny little C++ program that
occupies very little system real estate). In the end, however, I con-
sider X to be an enormously unnecessary for my purposes.

Of course, I would not be so presumptuous as to dissuade a newbie from
using X, nor would I encourage him/her. Everyone has different needs
and interests. The best thing about FreeBSD (and Linux) is that it
is able to accomodate just about every taste and preference imagin-
able. And the best thing for a newbie is to explore and try out as
much as possible to see what floats his/her boat.

Peter Pawelek (ppawel@axess.com)