Date:      Fri, 17 Jul 1998 10:24:38 -0400
From:      "Craig Shrimpton" <craigs@os.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FreeBSD only bootstraps from floppy

Folks,

I have a FBSD box that requires a boot floppy to start.  The floppy is
required to get the hard disk to load the OS, it's not required to run the
system.  Apparently the boot sector is not being found on startup.

I suspect that the problem has something to do with the BIOS translation
settings on the SCSI controller.  Is there any way to correct this short of
a complete re-install?  Can I turn off BIOS translation and re-install a
boot sector without fouling up the data?

Thanks,

Craig