Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 2016 20:11:42 +0000
From:      James Lodge <James@Lodge.me.uk>
To:        "freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org" <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Bhyve - EPT/Real Address Mode - Unrestricted Guest

Hello all,

Can someone please confirm that having EPT support in the CPU is not necess=
arily enough to run Bhyve. I have an Intel Xeon L5520 (Nehalem family) that=
 supports EPT but when trying to run an VM, receive

Windows VM UEFI

2 vCPUs requested but only 1 available

ROM boot failed: unrestricted guest capability not available

Linux MV Grub

VM unrestricted guest capability required
Error in initializing VM

My understanding is that the L5520 does not have support for "Unrestricted =
Guest/Real Address Mode"  which was introduce with the release of the Westm=
ere architecture.

I assume its a non starter without the unrestricted guest feature.

Running FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT r294227

Regards

James