Date:      Fri, 18 Mar 2005 01:18:46 +0200
From:      abu khaled <khaled.abu@gmail.com>
To:        "John A." <johna9999@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ethernet issue: works one way but not another

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:21:44 -0500, John A. <johna9999@gmail.com> wrote:
> The system uses a standard installation.  I have only configured the
> ethernet card with the proper ip address for the wireless side of the
> network.  The windoze box is running M$ firewall, but it works fine
> and allows me to ping my gateway and the FBSD box.  What concerns me
> at this point is the fact that tcpdump takes so long to respond.  If I
> let it run, it will display a packet about one every 2 min.  They seem
> to be in time order with timestamps only ms apart.
>
> Let me know if any other information will help.
>
> John A.

First, you have to excuse my English it is my third language and I do
not have that much experience.

This seems like a puzzle to me and I cannot figure out the topology of
your network.

* Can you ping the M$ box from FreeBSD? You need to enable incoming
echo request in M$ firewall.
* Are both systems on the same subnet?
* Have you tried to plug the radio directly into FreeBSD box and test
the connection like you did for M$ box?
* Does your FreeBSD box have a firewall configured?

You mentioned that the connection works if you plug the radio directly
to M$ box. Does it also work when you plug both to the hub? If not
then it might be a crossover cable problem.

As you can see, many pices in this puzzle need sorting out.

--
Kind regards
Abu Khaled